You've got all day today to put in a phone call that could move S. 306, the National Criminal Justice Commission Act, forward. It's easy! Here's how you do it:
Call U.S. Senate leadership:
- U.S. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), 202-224-3542
- U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), 202-224-3135
Here's what to say:
- I am calling to ask the senator to support immediate Senate passage of S. 306, the National Criminal Justice Commission Act.
- The proposed commission would review the criminal justice system, identify programs and policies that promote public safety, and urge reform of policies and practices that aren't working.
- One policy that needs review is mandatory minimum sentencing. Thousands of offenders receive lengthy mandatory terms. These sentences have filled prisons across the country well beyond capacity.
- The current incarceration rate comes at a high cost to taxpayers, families and communities.
- Passage of S. 306 will lead to a more effective and just system. Please pass the bill.
- Thank you!
That's it! Two senators, two calls, a two-minute message, and you can help FAMM! If you want to when you're done, email Jennifer Stitt, our Director of Federal Legislative Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know how it went! Easy!
You can learn more about S. 306 here.
Thanks in advance for your help!